Cream cheese is a soft, mild-tasting cheese. Traditionally spread on bagels, used as a dip for fruit and vegetables, or as a key ingredient in recipes, cream cheese is easy to make and a perfect option for beginning and experienced cheesemakers alike.
- Each box contains 4 packets, each packet contains both starter culture and rennet.
- Use 1 packet of starter with 1-4 quarts of fresh milk, cream or a combination of the two.
- Cultures at room temperature, 22º-25ºC, no appliance required.
- Avoid using ultra-pasteurized or UHT dairy.
- Direct-set (single-use) culture, no maintenance required.
- Instructions for making cream cheese are included with your starter.
Cream Cheese Starter Culture Ingredients
- Sucrose, Maltodextrins, Lactic bacteria (Lactococcus lactis subsp. Lactis, Lactococcus lactis supsp. cremoris)
- Organic Vegetable Rennet
Cream Cheese Starter Culture Allergen Information
- Manufactured in a facility that processes products containing soy and dairy.
Cream Cheese Starter Culture Storage Information
Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
What is a Direct-Set Culture?
A direct-set culture is a one-time-use culture, and cannot be recultured (i.e., perpetuated beyond the single batch). Direct-set cultures are often preferred by cheesemakers as they require no maintenance or care. Simply keep the packets in the freezer and remove what you need for your recipe when it’s time to make cheese. Most direct-set cultures contain multiple doses to inoculate multiple batches.