- Each box contains 1 packet of each culture: Viili, Filmjölk, Matsoni, and Piimä (see more below).
- These starters culture on the countertop at room temperature, 21º-25ºC, no yogurt maker is required!
- Suitable for use with pasteurized whole milk and with raw dairy milk or non-dairy milk, with special care.
- Avoid ultra-pasteurized or UHT milk.
- Re-usable culture: a small amount of each batch can be used to make the next batch and recultures from batch to batch indefinitely.
Instructions for using these cultures are included and may be found here.
Heirloom Starter Cultures Included in the Box
- Viili Starter Culture: A Finnish yogurt variety, Viili is very mild and creamy, with a fairly thick consistency. It’s a versatile favorite that’s perfect on its own or in any yogurt recipe.
- Filmjölk Starter Culture: Another Finnish variety, Filmjölk has a tangy flavor reminiscent of cheese and a custard-like texture. It’s great with fresh fruit or over pie. Kids love it!
- Matsoni Starter Culture: Matsoni, also known as Caspian Sea Yoghurt, from The Republic of Georgia, has a thin, custard-like texture with notes of honey. Its flavor is the most “yogurty” and is a popular choice for frozen yogurt.
- Piimä Starter Culture: Piimä, a Scandinavian variety, is very thin and drinkable with a mild flavor. Culture it with cream instead of milk to make a tasty sour cream-like topping.